Flavel House stands today as a significant local and national landmark,
operated by Clatsop County Historical Society, the Flavel House Museum is one of the best examples of Queen Anne style architecture in the Northwest.
In 1885, Captain George Flavel built an 11,600 square-feet mansion for his family at the corner of 8th and Duane Street in Astoria. The Captain, one of the area's first millionaires who made his fortune as a river bar pilot and through investments, built the estate at the age of 62 as his retirement home.
The Flavel House has been restored to accurately portray the elegance of the Victorian period and the history of the Flavel family. It is owned and operated by the Clatsop County Historical Society and is open to the public as a museum. Well known to fans of "The Goonies" movie, which was filmed in Astoria, the Flavel House is featured in the film as the museum where Mikey's father works as a curator. Today, the Flavel House is one of the best-preserved examples of Queen Anne style architecture in the Northwest and stands a landmark of local and national significance.
to Coast Explorer
Subscribe to Coast Explorer Magazine now and don't miss another issue featuring our beautiful photography and design, interesting feature stories and guides to coastal attractions, events, dining, shopping, arts and lodging. Annual subscriptions (3 issues) are only $15